Monday, December 5, 2011

Denver's Road Home

Yesterday evening, I was driving back to Denver from Keystone in what is apparently called a "foothills snowstorm." Allow me to clarify; Larry was calmly navigating the snowy roads and I was sitting erect in the passenger seat, every muscle tensed ever so tightly, gnawing at my fingernails.

There is little I hate more than being in a moving vehicle in shitty weather.

Anyway, we took a break in Georgetown, around 6, to have some dinner.  I opened up the car door, and was assaulted by a gust of frigid wind.  As I  ran for the door of the funky & adorable MountainBuzz Cafe, I thought, "What the hell do the homeless do here?"

I know, profound.  But hey, sometimes it takes having every bone in your body cry out in desperation for central heating - while you listen to your children whine pathetically for the same - to think about how others have it.

So ... We ate.  We got home safely.  I carried Adina, sleeping, to her bed.  Gave Caleb a quick bath and tucked him in.  Threw our dirty ski clothes in the washing machine, poured a glass of red wine, and sat with Larry while he watched the Steeler game from earlier in the day and rubbed my feet.  In other words, I took care of the needs of me & mine, and very much enjoyed the favor in return.

Then, around 6:30 am this morning, I turned on the T.V. and, go NBC, was reminded that tomorrow is Colorado Gives Day 2011.  Last year, in this "24 hours to give where you live," $8.7 million was donated to Colorado charities.  The details for this year = 

When
24 hours starting at 12 a.m. on Tuesday, December 6, 2011
How
Online through GivingFirst.org
Why 
To support the nonprofits that protect and nurture quality of life in Colorado.  

Ok.  Inspired by the cold and by Colorado Gives Day, I decided to do 2 things.  One: give a little to help the homeless, and 2) have the chutzpah to ask you to do the same.

I did some quick online research and found an organization in town that is doing the good work.  Denver's Road Home.  Please check them out at http://www.denversroadhome.org.  I called their communications manager and here's what she told me:

Denver’s Road Home is our community’s 10-year plan to end homelessness.  In October 2003, Denver began an 18-month community planning process involving the city, homeless individuals, city council, business community, nonprofits and neighborhood organizations to address homelessness in our community. Since 2005, Denver’s Road Home has made tremendous progress, but there is still many more people that need our help. Together with our community, Denver’s Road Home has:
·         Developed over 2,300 units of affordable, supportive housing
·         Connected 5,817 individuals with employment
·         Prevented 5,714 families and individuals from becoming homeless
·         Mentored over 1,000 families and seniors out of homelessness
·         Reduced chronic homelessness by 75%
Our work is not done though. We continue to need our community’s help now more than ever to give homeless men, women and children an alternative to sleeping on the streets. Together, we can end homelessness one person at a time.

I'm kicking-off my campaign to fight homelessness on Colorado Gives Day - tomorrow, Tuesday, December 6, 2011 and will end it on my 40th birthday, January 23, 2012.  If you'd like to give with me, please visit https://www.givingfirst.org/evelynheadingwest and click on the DONATE NOW button.  

Thank you.  Stay warm.
-E

No comments:

Post a Comment